Sunday 17 October 2021

Five Parsecs and Spaceports.

 One of my favourite places in the Firefly universe is Eavesdown Docks. When I think of Star Wars, Mos Eisley and Mos Espa spring to mind - towns built up around spaceports out in the sticks. As I plan further for my Five Parsecs campaign, I worry that it will become a bunch of encounters around spaceports. (My plans are on hold as we are having our kitchen replaced, and the garage is being turned into a dining/hobby area). It got me thinking about my time living in Munich, and how I knew my way around the city, but it was based entirely on where I would walk after getting the U-Bahn somewhere. 


I lived in Giesing. I could walk places from there. Three stops away on the U2 is Josephsburg. I could walk places from there. But never, ever in my time living there, did I walk above the surface between the two places. I feel like this is how it must feel for our space crews! They know the area around certain ports, but getting between them, there is only one, real option. Then, would they ever travel overland to go from port to job? Or would they just fly? Or get the mag train? Am I overthinking this entire, pointless thing?

I hope to get a game going soon, but again, my copy of Five Parsecs is unreachable right now, and I don't fancy scrolling through a PDF during a game. It will be a few weeks before I can really do anything, as all my painting/model building supplies are in my bedroom. 

2 comments:

  1. That's a fascinating insight! Also kind of like video games where going from one part of town to another skips over the middle which you will never see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. It is something I have often thought about, but have never really voiced out loud. I intend, with my narratives, to hopefully explore the planets a little more, rather than just fight in spaceport after spaceport.

      Delete