Monday 8 April 2024

Painting up some 6mm WW2 British infantry and armour.

 After allowing myself to dilly-dally and not bother doing much, I finally have a platoon plus some support of British infantry. I also have some armour. I was basically unsure about what colour to paint the armour and exactly what to paint on the infantry because I felt like the soldiers would just blend in with their bases, which is kind of what happened. 

I found this link from A Bridge to War blog which gave some interesting tips on painting 6mm WW2 infantry and armour. It goes very much down the "it can all look the same when looking down at a table" route and does enough to make the figures look different while also being simple to paint. 

Infantry

The infantry were essentially primed in a light grey. This differs from that link, but it is all I have for now. I then used all Vallejo paints and painted them in the following order:

Flesh - Light flesh.
Uniform - British Uniform
Helmets - US Dark Green
Weapons - Beige Brown, then Black
Washed with Citadel Agrax Earthshade
Gear - Russian Green (I only painted canteens and a pouch or two)
Light drybrush of Sand.

The original link just paints weapons black. It also primed with brown, which made the need for British Uniform paint layer unnecessary. 

I am pleased with how they turned out. I should have probably painted boots also, but couldn't be bothered. I would have painted them black if I had thought about it.




Armour

I convinced myself I needed Bronze Green to paint my armour, but ended up just painting them US Dark Green, washing with Citadel Nuln Oil, drybrush with Desert Yellow. They look fine to be honest. I have painted up some KV1s and a KV2 using Russian Green, which is noticeably lighter, but after washing with Nuln Oil I literally can't tell the difference between the two colours! 



The link above has inspired me to paint up some Waffen SS though. I had always thought they were too difficult to paint up in 6mm and was just never going to play them. 

Next up, some US logistical vehicles. Then some German trucks and half tracks - they are just waiting for some more colours and a flocking. 

2 comments:

  1. They do look nice! And as you say, much of the fine colour differentiation of green Allied tanks can more-or-less disappear. I broadly think of this as a good thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At some point with 6mm I have come to the conclusion that, as much as I like painting miniatures, you just need them to look vaguely correct and need to tell the Allies apart from the Axis. Easily done if it is green vs yellow/grey. I just tried putting some camo onto some Sdkfz 251s and it looks awful.

      Delete