Friday 5 March 2021

Rapid Fire Reloaded game and review

 Inspired by this blog I decided to give Rapid Fire! Reloaded a go. I ordered it on Monday, it arrived Tuesday and I gave it a read. It seems nice and simple. I also got Platoon Forward! which is designed to add an RPG element to WW2 games. It gives characters with strengths and weaknesses, has a map generator, has a load of generic scenarios, and then events that happen between the games.


I created a platoon and gave the platoon leader and each squad leader a name and characteristics. For the purpose of using Rapid Fire Reloaded, I decided to follow what Shaun did on his blog sort of. Each squad would consist of two bases. each base would count as a base with 2 figures, which required two hits for a base to "be destroyed" or routed or whatever. I also added an individual figure that just represented the leader but served no purpose whatsoever. 

Basically I didn't enjoy the game. I am not going to beat around the bush. I gave up after a bit. I worry that I used bad scenario, had a dreadful map or what have you. But I just don't think I care enough now to give it another try. 


The table was generated using the Platoon Forward! method. Divide the table into 9 sections, roll for results. First roll was to decide if the table would be light, medium or heavy terrain. I got heavy. Then for each area I rolled and got the following:

Light woods/Light woods/Wooded hill
2-4 buildings/Heavy woods/Hill
Hill/Road/Open

The scenario is a patrol: 2 squads and an MG team basically go out to cause trouble and meet an enemy patrol. The attackers need to travel through all 9 areas and leave having caused more casualties than they take. I think that the problem might have led here. Not many units on the board made it a little more difficult to cause enough casualties to actually rout a unit. I just really didn't like it.

The US patrol advances, looking for trouble. I had a small map so cut the distances in inches in half. On the left of the map I have two blinds that I move as though they are the enemy patrol. When the Americans manage to spot one, I roll to see which blind is the entire force. Platoon Forward has more options for blinds that seem quite good. 


At the end of each round I roll 1D10. On a roll of 10 a random event happens. Here the squad leader of first squad has a Leadership test and passes. The result is his squad gets a free move that attempts to flank the enemy. At this point the Germans have been found and are forming up on the heavy woodland in the middle. Much of this is from Platoon Forward! The only parts of this from Rapid Fire Reloaded that I have used so far is movement. 


The odd thing here is the turn order. I attempt to spot units before movement and firing. I just feel like you want to move units into place and then attempt to spot and fire? It seems strange. Unless I have misunderstood, but at 16 pages there is little place for fluff and misunderstanding.

You roll 1D6 per 2 figures. I was acting like each stand had two figures. Maybe that was a mistake? I managed to get two hits which knocked out a stand of Germans. And that is it. I got one hit on a couple of other squads, but one hit does nothing. You need two hits in one round.


At this point I called it. I was just bored to be frank. I enjoyed the Platoon Forward elements of the game and think they will marry up nicely with A Sergeant's War, or maybe even Battlegroup. Further experimentation to come, but I doubt it will come along with Rapid Fire Reloaded. 









2 comments:

  1. Well, at least you liked Platoon Forward :-) RFR is cheap so was hopefully not an expensive loss. I find RFR is all about MMGs and as the attacker getting into close combat with defenders. The 2 figures to a base is as per the rules so not an issue there. Ah well. At least now you know you are not fond of Rapid Fire type rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will give them a go in a larger battle before I really make a judgement.

      Delete