Saturday 8 January 2022

Irregular Miniatures WW2 Soviets - First batch.

I painted up one squad, a Maxim MG team, three T-34s, and a 76mm ATG with a tow. I did a little research regarding colours, but don't really want to purchase any new paints right now. Luckily, I have all I need to paint the infantry, but deciding on a good green for the vehicles proved more difficult. 

I am really pleased with how the ATG and truck turned out. It felt a little awkward painting the crew while attached to the gun, but in the end it worked out pretty well. The truck looks good. I decided to paint the windows blue, after I had washed the vehicle in Agrax Earthshade. The windows are really pleasing me. They make me feel like I have progressed as a painter. I genuinely think the cannon with crew attached might be the way forward for me now.

The tank at the back is a different colour - the same as my US vehicles. The other two are a mix of Russian Green and Medium Green or something. I'm not too bothered to be honest. I highlighted with Khaki of all colours. I had originally planned to highlight with a light green. My next tank platoon might have more experimentation. I like the commander. While he seems almost cartoonishly big, I like that I can use him as an easy-to-spot officer. So far so good with Irregular Miniatures.


I was nervous about the infantry. Firstly they are all SMG armed - which isn't ideal. Then, their bases are really tall. When painting, I really struggled to see where the weapons were on some of the figures. It was frustrating. But, to be fair from table distance it won't really matter all that much. It looks to me like I will still be buying the new Heroics and Ros Russians, as they look amazing. I am, still though, pleased with the Irregular vehicles.


Here is the Maxim MG team. I imagine they are pretty good. But again, the infantry moulds don't seem all that clear. I sort of painted some bits and hoped for the best.



 This is them all together. I experimented with putting little bushes on the stands - no real reason behind it. I like them. From a distance all seems fine. If anything this photo is better than the others. I need to look at my backgrounds again. Having moved house, I got rid of my little photo booth thing.

I look forward to painting up more. I need to paint up two more squads and some other support weapons. 

1 comment:

  1. I have quite a few stands of Irregular 6mm figures, mostly post war. Yes, the detail and consistency is not up to GHQ or H&R but for supplying specialty units they are great. And frankly other than when painting them I can't see any of that detail, especially a couple feet away on the table.

    ReplyDelete