Saturday 18 February 2023

February 17th - Boardgame Night

 Remember when I attended the fledgeling local boardgame group in Jan 2022? I had a blast, and planned on making it a regular thing. Then my wife got pregnant and fell really sick with it (partially my fault I admit), and I was in a situation where I was needed at home to watch the children, and felt bad getting a babysitter if I wanted to go out, while my wife was esentially bed-ridden. 

Well, she recovered, baby arrived, life got busy again, until I finally managed to go this month. Signs for March look good also. 

I arrived and sat with three first-timers. We played two and a half games. 


Game 1: Taverns of Tiefenthal

What a fun game! I loved the mechanic of rolling dice and then passing them along. I love the theme of an old-timey, tropey, fantasy tavern. I love the deck building element. I am not sure it grabbed me entirely, but I will definitely want to play this game again. I got my butt handed to me though. The components are lovely, the art is great. I genuinely really enjoyed it.


Here are my victory points. The best way to win seems to be to upgrade everything in the tavern, because you get a Noble for your deck, which is worth 10 victory points.



Game 2: Citadels

First time playing this with more than two people. It lasted a lot longer than I am used to, as there were five of us. I kept messing it up as the king. For me, there is something about fantasy sort of games that  I love. I also love card games, especially card games that involve deck building and creating some kind of empire, corporation or whatever with cards laid out in front of you. 


Game 2.5: Pandemic Iberia

We played 30 minutes of this and it went okay. I played normal Pandemic ages ago and I think we lost. I felt very lost in the game and didn't really enjoy it.

Here is to next month. I will read the rules of Revolution I think, then offer it to play.


No comments:

Post a Comment