Wednesday 22 January 2014

Russians: New basing, weathering powders.

After switching to static grass, I have now adjusted the actual basing material. I make a mixture of water, PVA and bird sand. It seems to be doing the job well, and provides more of a texture than wall filler. The only problem is, it is harder to paint. Maybe I will try mixing paint into the actual mixture. As such, this latest batch of Russians, I am very happy with.




The 45mm gun is the Zvezda model. It is the first one I have based with the crew. I am really happy with it. I also decided to try out my new Humbrol weathering powders on it. I am pleased with the effect. Okay, the wheels look muddier than the ground would allow, but I like it. My next project is to go back and apply shed loads of mud to my finished models.



5 comments:

  1. Great work. I paint the base with PVA then sprinkle the bird sand on. When dry I paint a mixture of water and PVA over it again just to secure all in place. Paint drybrush and flock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I have another method to try out!

      Delete
  2. Hey, great work with those Russians! Reminds me of my own eastern front project...
    Which colour have you used for the Soviet uniform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thomas! I prime them with a light grey Humbrol Primer, then use Vallejo Khaki Grey.

      Delete
  3. Great work James. They look a treat.

    ReplyDelete