Tuesday, 17 December 2013

An Exciting Engagement.

I know this is a little outside the norm for this blog, but I have excellent news, and thought you may find it vaguely of interest. I got engaged tonight and am absolutely buzzing.

Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Operation: Build a Village part 2.

Progress. Following the advice of Thomas, I ordered 1000 coffee stirrers to use for the window frames and doors. I must say, I am happy with the door lintel. The window frames aren't amazing. I tried inserting them actually into the holes I cut, but wasn't too happy with how that turned out. I will investigate other options. 

I am a complete convert to bird sand though. I love the texture it has given. I applied PVA quite thickly on the front facade of the building, making it rougher than I intended. But the other sides of the house look just fine. I can't wait to decide upon a roof, then find a cork board to base it on.

Monday, 9 December 2013

Last of the Volkssturm

Previously I posted half of the Volksturm I had painted. These men had been bought and roughly painted with enamel paints, before I made the switch. As such I had left them alone while I painted other soldiers completely in acrylic. Having returned from Czech with a bag of small change, I decided to base the remaining men, and bring them up to finish, what with the fantastic looking Battlegroup Fall of the Reich coming out. I painted the Panzerfausts a better colour and then shaded them.

I decided, however, with this group, to base them with grass, instead of rubble. I like them. Luckily I have enough that I hopefully won't have to mix the two groups. Unfortunately, I do not know the suggested unit sizes for Volkssturm in Fall of the Reich...

I am excited to get my hands on those rules.

Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Operation: Build a Village.

So I have completed my German platoon. I have a serviceable British force, although I may be re-basing them with static grass. All I need now is a butt-tonne (an old imperial measurement somewhere between a butt-load and a heckovalot) of scenery so I can run my own games. 

Part one of this project is to make some buildings. I am experimenting with 5mm foam board for this farm house. Cutting out the doors and windows was a little messy, but I can neaten them up, I imagine. I suppose now I need sand or something for the walls, so a trip to the beach must be planned. I also need to decide on materials for the roof too. 

I have five A4 sheets of 5mm foam board. One has been used for this farmhouse. The others will be used for various other buildings. This should tide me over in terms of having a village to attack/defend.

The next stage will be to figure out how to make good looking bocage in enough quantities to completely cover a table.

If I never have to paint another German, I will die happy.

I have decided I do not like Germans. Why did they have to have such an array of multicoloured equipment? To paint these 24 infantry, forming my generic German platoon, it feels like it has taken an eternity. I was faced with other delays too: experimenting with static grass, trying to remember which colours I used on the first batch of infantry, and so forth. But in the end, I have finished them. They are wargame ready. I may well re-base the first group of infantry, you can see a couple mixed in here.

Static grass! I am now a convert. Never again will I need to mix up a tub of various model railway flock to come up with something acceptable. They just look so much better.

Next up is to secure myself a photography tent. Lighting is dreadful at this time of year.

The platoon, in all its glory. I have enough men for three platoons of 12, the maximum in Bold Action. Of course I doubt I will ever field such strength. I am looking to secure myself some of the Battlegroup rules too.

I am very pleased with them. They look great.

Radio team. I don't really have any officer to put in charge. Sad face.

I am loving their bases. I have attached the men to Czech 1 Crown coins.

Next up: Hopefully some Valiant US Infantry, although I am missing a couple of colours, so they are on pause until I can find them. My local Modelzone has closed/is closing. I haven't had a chance to swing by and check if they are open still. They were my primary source for Vallejo.

I also have an Armourfast Firefly half painted, some German armour in need of a spray job, and various other repaints to get on with.