Friday, 15 February 2013

Airfix Commandos repaint.

The first plastic soldiers I ever painted were a box of Airfix British Commandos. When it came to playing with our tanks and soldiers, these guys were useful for sneaking in the back, over the pile of books that represented some sort of barrier that should protect the German base.

In the containers that hold a lot of old soldiers, I found them and decided I needed to correct the work of my clumsy thirteen-year-old hands, and what looks like a pretty thick brush. Some of them were even left semi painted.

Using a nice, fine brush, and a steady hand, I think I managed to make them serviceable. The Army Painter Quickshade was very important to make them look good, although a lot of the detail on some of them had been largely filled with copious amounts of paint. I suppose I hadn't learnt the importance of a few thin coats, rather than one thick one.

The flash is still visible on many of them, but I just couldn't be bothered to try and clean them of it. Trying to remove flash from Airfix soldiers feels like trying to nail jelly to a wall.

Here they are taking up positions in the ruin of a shop. This building is the product of joining up the scenery from the Matchbox 17 pounder, and a couple of Sdkfz 250 models. It is as old as the commandos, and should probably be finished at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment