After switching to static grass, I have now adjusted the actual basing material. I make a mixture of water, PVA and bird sand. It seems to be doing the job well, and provides more of a texture than wall filler. The only problem is, it is harder to paint. Maybe I will try mixing paint into the actual mixture. As such, this latest batch of Russians, I am very happy with.
The 45mm gun is the Zvezda model. It is the first one I have based with the crew. I am really happy with it. I also decided to try out my new Humbrol weathering powders on it. I am pleased with the effect. Okay, the wheels look muddier than the ground would allow, but I like it. My next project is to go back and apply shed loads of mud to my finished models.