A lot has changed this year. Having a baby really does eat into hobby time and put things into perspective. Sometimes I get sad that I can't sit at my desk every evening with How I Met Your Mother on in the background while I paint and build. But that only happens occasionally. Most of the time I am too busy to pine over my now busy life, with actually important things to worry about.
I notice that my modelling tends to pick up around November time, and I then during the Christmas break. I may then do some during the Spring half term and Easter break. Whether I model during the Summer holidays is hit or miss. We will see what happens this year.
- I bought Clash on the Fringe and FiveCore 2nd edition + Five Parsecs from Home. I also re-familiarized myself with Flying Lead.
- I have painted about 40 odd 6mm NAC infantry from Ground Zero Games. They will provide the security wing for Quansec, a major corporation in my Sci Fi world.
- There are about 30 based 6mm infantry from GzG, possibly Israeli, who are waiting to be painted.
- I have enough buildings to be fought over, although they are pretty basic, and will be improved over time.
- For Christmas I received a Darth Vader storage box, that is now filled with other experimental 6mm terrain pieces such as fields, large buildings, some resin buildings on MDF bases while I experiment with different configurations for towns (these are unpainted and untextured).
- I did some half hearted work on some StuG IIIs, but I was unhappy with the wash effect, and then school caught up with me again. It was pretty lame.
- I recall also mostly completing a handful of Reaper Miniatures for possible games of Songs of Blades and Heroes.
I did not really think I would have time to accomplish a whole lot this year. The switch to Sci Fi 6mm wargaming has put a spark back in my desire to find time to make models. They take up less room and are faster to paint. I am very much enjoying making terrain, and have some future projects planned out in terms of using cork board to make rocks and hills, and using straws to make some piles of pipes.
Looking forward to 2016, I want to achieve the following:
- Begin a wargaming club at school. I can easily fit six fairly large games in my classroom, and more if everyone is playing 3x3 games, or even smaller (thank you 6mm).
- I would like to have at least five different factions available to me in 6mm, along with various civilians and possible scruffy looking nerf-herder types.
- Ideally I would like to get at least one game in per month, even if it is a solo game. The wargames club should solve this.