Friday 18 September 2020

Playing Flying Lead - Brits vs Wehrmacht

 So for our final game of his visit, Alexander and I wanted to get out the 20mm stuff. Table space isn't great, so this led us down the route of Flying Lead. A squad each, a tank each, and a ton of terrain.

My battle mat was awful. I mean, I like it loads, but it does not agree with my Cromwell's tracks. It was like velcro. When we started the game, I remembered how much fun I find the activation and measurement systems. But...that was where the fun ended.


Advancing and taking pot-shots was fine. My Cromwell fired on the Panzer IV, and destroyed it. However, this whole system of tank vs tank combat was dreadful. Like there were tables that seemed to have no meaning. There were steps that seemed confusing, then actually weren't even necessary. Together we had to read the rules through a few times before we got it. And in the end it was just a case of the dice rolls having already finished the combat. Wasted reading.


Here are some of my Brits. I miss playing with them. I think this game, and getting all of my 20mm toys out to show Alexander has inspired me to search out a new set of low figure count WW2 rules. A squad of infantry vs a squad...but fun. We had no actual objectives in this game, which made it just a slug fest, which was annoying.


The Cromwell got Panzerschrecked. The Brits conceded after a game that was far too long for what it was. We should have just played a third game of Battlegroup.

Any suggestions of low figure count, small table size WW2 wargame rules are welcome. I will, however begin painting up my 20mm stuff more.


2 comments:

  1. How about Fields of Fire? or Rapid Fire? I'm at a bit of a loss as I really play operational level games at about a division vs a Corps or larger.

    Regards, Chris.

    https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. I will give those a try.

      Delete