Saturday 6 August 2016

Trees. Finally some trees.

One can tell from this flurry of activity that I have had a productive couple of days with the hobby. Today I am not feeling amazing and so my wife and daughter left to enjoy the sun, while I kept myself in close distance to...useful facilities.

I have been into models and wargaming for a long time. I am approaching the four year mark of this blog, with a slow increase in actually playing games. Yet I have never had trees. Never ever. They are either too expensive, too fragile or too messy to make. After years of reading, researching, trying to find the best recipe for making tree terrain, I ended up on Ebay buying some super cheap trees from China. How bad could they be? Right?

Bad. They were smaller than I imagined, and as soon as I pulled one out of the bag they began shedding. They really are awful. BUT: What should I expect for £2.47 or something for 40 odd trees?

I gathered my remaining CDs and some round MDF bases that have been lying around for 2 years (originally intended for WW2 cannon) and may aswell be used, grabbed some Green Stuff and got to work. My original plan for making removable trees failed. I settled with attaching them with the knowledge that these will need to be replaced at some point.

I also flocked my jungle stands and then sprayed the whole shebang with my Army Painter matt spray. Flock and leaves are secure. Vacuum packaging terrain not shiny anymore.



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I hadn't succumbed to the temptation of cheap Chinese trees.

    It might be that you can make something more of them with a bit of work though - try this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOJ-t4bL4k

    ReplyDelete